Building Control and Permits


Getting municipal approval for a new construction or renovation project may seem daunting at first, especially when you don’t know where to start.
After drawing up the plans with a professional, SACAP-registered architect or draughtsman, the plans need to be submitted for approval at your local municipality. It is a common misconception that smaller construction plans such as renovations or extensions do not need approval, but the reality is that any additions or alterations to an existing structure have to be authorised by the local authority.
Any building work done without the relevant approval can legally be halted or even authorised for demolition by a building inspector. In addition, fines could also be imposed if construction work has begun without approval. These rules apply to tenants in shopping centres and office parks as well.
Not obtaining municipal building plans approval can be an unnecessary, costly mistake and will also prevent you from obtaining an Occupancy Certificate.

What is an Occupancy Certificate? By definition, this document gives permission or clearance for the building (habitable space) to be occupied as it complies with city by-laws and building standards.
Once you have approved council plans that matches your development/shop/office together with a number of certificate of compliance (COC) for plumbing, electrical etc. an application can be made.

Boxed Solutions

Shopping Centres


Property & Fund Managers and Compliance Officers



Architects and Developers



Outdoor - Advertising and events